- Be alert to and report suspicious situations or persons and criminal activity to Public Safety.
- Be prepared to provide the following information:
- Nature of the incident
- Location of the incident
- Description of the person(s) involved
- Description of the property involved
Avoiding Violent Situations
- Inform Public Safety about any individuals deemed to be threatening or dangerous.
- Eliminate opportunities for violence by:
- Knowing your escape route
- Placing a barrier between yourself and the aggressor
- Using effective people / communication skills
- Having a second person with you.
Reacting to Violent Situations
- Maintain eye contact and a positive posture to send out positive signals
- Do not touch or approach a person who may become violent
- Keep the person talking as you maintain a controlled, calm demeanor.
- Show concern yet maintain a safe distance; avoid being alone with the person.
- Call 911, 9-911 from a campus phone, or have someone else call.