In an effort to ensure the safety and sanitation of the Lactation/Personal Care Room, the following serves as a guideline for its use:
- Users may access the lactation/personal care room for the purposes of expressing and collecting breast milk, nursing purposes and for other personal care needs. Using this room for any other purpose may impact the safety/sanitary conditions of the environment.
- It is the responsibility of everyone using the lactation/personal care room to maintain a clean room ready for the next user. All breast milk spills, or any other spills, soils, or possible contaminations should be cleaned using the cleaning solutions provided (Please notify the Maintenance Department of all incidents that occur and have been cleaned).
- It is important that any activity involving blood or other potentially infectious materials (OPIMs) not take place in the lactation/personal care room. This requirement minimizes the possibility of nursing mothers, or nursing babies, and other users from coming in contact with infectious material. All activities involving blood or OPIMs should be coordinated with the Health Services office.
- The Office of Public Safety, with coordination from other offices and departments, manages, maintains and addresses any issue impacting the standards for the room.
- Place the “ROOM IN USE” sign on the outside of the door during use and remove from the door after use of the room is complete. Be sure to leave the sign in the room after use.
- Please maintain the cleanliness of this room. Do not leave any items in the room for storage after use. The College cannot be responsible for any lost or stolen items.
- Please report any maintenance, cleanliness or other issues with the room to the Maintenance Department immediately.
- If you notice that any of the supplies are running low, please call or e-mail the Maintenance Department so that replacements can be secured before items run out.
If you have any suggestions for how to improve the operation of this space or how we can better assist individuals, please share your ideas via e-mail with the Maintenance Department (Maintenance@sunybroome.edu).
Frequently Asked Questions
- Where are the lactation/personal care rooms located?
Calice Advanced Manufacturing Center (CAM) 215
Culinary & Events Center (CEC) 014A
Decker Health Science Center (DH) 201/202
Natural Science Center (NSC) 207B
- Who can use the lactation/personal care rooms?
The lactation/personal care room is open to faculty, staff, students and guests.
- How do I gain access to the lactation/personal care rooms?
The rooms will remain open during normal business hours.
- Who is responsible for cleaning the lactation/personal care rooms?
Please see rule #2 & #7. The Maintenance Department will also clean and maintain the room.
- Will cleaning supplies, i.e. disinfectant wipes, cleaning solutions, etc. be available in the lactation/personal care rooms?
Yes. If supplies are running low, please notify Maintenance.
- How will I know if the room is available?
Users should hang the provided “ROOM IN USE” sign on the outside of the door. Please remove and return the sign after use is complete.
If the room is locked, with the “ROOM IN USE” sign displayed, then the room is most likely occupied. If the room is locked, but no sign displayed, please politely knock and wait for a response. If no response is given, please call Maintenance or Public Safety.
- Will the lactation/personal care rooms be accessible after 5:00 pm and on weekends?
The room is intended to be open during normal college business hours.
- How many times daily can I use the lactation/personal care rooms?
You are able to use the room when needed.
- Can I breast feed and change my infant in the lactation/personal care rooms?
You are allowed, and encouraged, to breast feed in the room. For sanitation reasons, you are asked to utilize the restrooms for changing purposes.