We at SUNY Broome take steps in preventing crime from occurring. These steps range from officers patrolling campus properties, maintenance of lighting and shrubbery, community education/presentations, along with open lines of communication between faculty, staff, and students. While Officers can’t be everywhere at once, we rely on members of the campus community to inform us of potential issues and suspicious activity. How you can you help?? If you see something, say something…. Call us at 607-778-5083 (non-emergency) or 911 if an emergent threat exists.
Please take measures to prevent yourself from being the victim of a crime. Here are some helpful tips to guide you:
- Get to know the campus officers.
- Always use and lock your locker when using the fitness/gym facilities.
Keep track of your valuables and secure them in your locker! Do not leave them on top of your locker, on benches, or in a classroom or bathroom. Never share your locker combination with anyone.
- Lock your bike to the bike rack or other stationary object.
- Lock your car, keep the windows closed, and keep valuables out of sight.
- Lock your home/apartment/bedroom door(s)
- Keep valuables at home. Never bring large amounts of cash to school or wear expensive jewelry.
- Don’t bring weapons to campus. If you see one, report it to Public Safety immediately.
- Be aware of your surroundings!
- Report suspicious activities to Public Safety.
- Remember it’s OK to say NO if anyone asks you to do something you know is wrong or it makes you feel unsafe or uncomfortable.
- Never prop doors open or open exterior doors for unknown people.
- Never share personal banking information or allow someone to use your bank account.
- If an offer sounds too good to be true, it’s most likely a scam.
The Office of Public Safety publishes a log of all Misdemeanor, Felony, Drug/Alcohol, Dating/Domestic Violence, Stalking, and Hate Crime incidents that are reported to us. These reports are added to the log even if they are unfounded.