SUNY Broome students and their families may have experienced unforeseen circumstances and/or expenses during the past academic year due to Covid-19 or other circumstances beyond their control. Students with documented ‘Special Circumstances’ that negatively affects you/your family’s financial situation could be eligible for an adjustment to the original data provided on your Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and your financial aid eligibility.
For example, because of COVID-19 some employers have shut down, reduced work hours, or furloughed employees. Some students or parents may not have been able to work due to illness. Your campus Financial Aid Office will be able to review your special circumstances and possibly adjust the amount of financial aid you receive or would have received.
Am I eligible?
If your family has experienced a change in income due to unusual or extenuating circumstances, the SUNY Broome Financial Aid Office can use professional judgement, and U.S. Department of Education guided flexibility, to re-evaluate your situation for the following reasons:
- Loss of job or permanent/indefinite reduction of work hours
- Separation or divorce
- Personal bankruptcy that occurs during the current financial aid year
- Death of a member of your immediate family
- Reduction/loss of child support
- High non-reimbursed medical expenses
- Parents took money out of their pension/retirement plan as a one-time payment to help cover expenses
- Other documented special circumstances outside of the student’s control
Where Can I Apply?
If you would like to apply for an American Rescue Plan Special Circumstance, please select one of the links below and download the appropriate form.
- Please remember to include all supporting documentation to support your request.
- You may mail, fax, email, or drop of your complete Special Circumstance Form along with all required documentation to the Financial Aid Office.
Federal financial aid appeal decisions (Special Circumstances) are on a case-by-case basis at the discretion of the campus, based on guidance provided by the U.S. Department of Education. All decisions are final. Every effort will be made by SUNY Broome to assist students in need. Once a student submits their Special Circumstance Application and supporting documentation they will be informed of a decision within 7 to 10 business days.
For further information on this program please contact the Financial Aid Office.