Apartment-Style Housing on Campus
Living on-campus at the Student Village is one of the best ways to start your experience here at SUNY Broome off right. We have a safe and secure building, with friendly and helpful staff. By choosing to live on campus, you’re a few steps away from classes, the library, and academic resources. This also puts you in close proximity to the main cafe, bookstore, clubs and activities, sporting events, and much more. Our diverse residential population, access to programming space, fitness space, and study space, within the building, as well as local eateries, entertainment, and stores right down the road on Front Street.
- Over 300 residents reside on-campus.
- Approximately 20% of residents are from a local contiguous county (Broome, Chenango, Cortland, Delaware, Tioga).
- Approximately 50% of residents are from the New York City, Long Island and Westchester.
- Approximately 5% of residents are from out of state – including international.
- Approximately 45% of residents identify as a person of color.
- Approximately 15% of residents identify as Hispanic.
Gender Inclusive Housing Policy
Housing & Residential Life strives to offer every residential student a placement that feels safe, comfortable and supported. Gender Inclusive Housing will be open to all residents, including first year students (who are over the age of 18). Gender Inclusive Housing allows same gender roommates, opposite gender roommates or other gender-identified roommate pairings. This community is designed as an intentional living community affirming the cultural experiences of lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, intersex and questioning residents as well as their allies. Residents should express interest during the application process, when prompted. Housing will confirm through email that this is the correct housing option you are interested, as this community will not be forced upon any student.
Gender Inclusive Housing is first come first serve and is limited based on interest. The Housing & Residential Life Office discourages all students in romantic relationships from living together on campus – whether in Gender Inclusive Housing, or otherwise. Additionally, while we do not force students to speak to their parents about their housing options, we strongly encourage students to communicate with their parents so they can fully support the decision to live in Gender Inclusive Housing. All students will be contacted before an assignment is made and may be asked to provide supplemental information. We do reserve the right to change a student’s assignment at any time for any reason. Gender Inclusive apartments are equipped with four bedrooms and two bathrooms, which are shared by members of the apartment – the apartments house 4 to 6 residents.
To participate within this housing arrangement, you must agree to the following:
- I accept that I will reside in a space where I may share a bedroom, bathroom, and/or common space within an apartment with another resident(s) of a different gender, gender-identity, or gender-expression than my own.
- I understand that I will be expected to be an active member and bystander for the LGBTQ+ community and work to build an inclusive and supportive community.
- I understand that I was informed that couples should not reside in the same bedroom or apartment.
- I understand that Housing & Residential Life reserves the right to make administrative moves throughout the year, as required to maintain a safe and learner centered community for all residents.
Accessible Campus Housing
Housing & Residential Life collaborates with the Accessibility Resources Office (ARO) to coordinate accessible campus housing for students with disabilities that impact one’s living situation.
Required Submission Dates
Housing spaces at SUNY Broome, are not guaranteed. In order to assure availability, requests for housing accommodations are asked to adhere to the below submission dates. However, if the request for accommodation is made after the below submission dates, Housing cannot guarantee that it will be able to meet the individual’s accommodation needs during the first semester or term of occupancy.
Spring Semester submit by: November 30
Summer Semester submit by: April 1
Fall Semester submit by: June 1
The individual making the request for an accessible housing accommodation should complete the Request for Accessible Housing. Once completed, ARO, or Housing may reach out with additional paperwork that may need to be turned in.
If the need for accessible campus housing arises when an individual already resides in College housing, they should contact ARO and complete the steps to request a housing accommodation as soon as practicably possible. SUNY Broome cannot guarantee that it will be able to meet the accommodation needs during the semester or term in which the request is received.