The Health Information Technology Department houses the Health Information Technology Program (A.A.S. degree) and also the Medical Transcription Certificate Program.
Health information management professionals hold many diverse roles, yet all share a common purpose: providing reliable and valid information that drives the healthcare industry. They are specialists in working with health information systems, managing medical records, and coding information for reimbursement and research. Health information management professionals are uniquely qualified to:
- Ensure health information is complete and available to legitimate users
- Code and classify data for reimbursement
- Analyze information necessary for decision support
- Protect patient privacy and provide information security
- Enhance the quality and uses for data within healthcare
- Administer health information computer systems
- Comply with standards and regulations regarding health information
- Prepare health data for accreditation surveys Analyze clinical data for research and public policy
Welcome to the Health Information Technology Department
Welcome to the Health Information Technology Department at Broome Community College. My name is Holly Jones and I serve at the department chair and as a faculty member. There are dedicated faculty members in the department who are credentialed professionals and strive to provide a quality education to our students. We have clinical affiliations with many types of healthcare organizations, including hospitals, long term care and home health care facilities, mental health organizations, and large group physician practices. Our goal as a department is not only to prepare students for their RHIT (Registered Health Information Technician) certification exam and to provide the technical basis for employment, but also to mold graduates into the professional health information technician who sees the value, importance, and confidentiality of the patient’s health information and the vital role they play in contributing to quality patient care.