Application for Additional CARES Act Funds
The Coronavirus Aid, Relief and Economic Security Act, or CARES Act, passed by Congress and signed into law to provide economic relief from COVID-19. One section of the CARES Act established the Higher Education Emergency Relief fund and sent money to schools to use for emergency financial aid grants to students for expenses related to the disruption of campus operations due to coronavirus.
CARES Act grants will be made to students based on the Expected Family Contribution (EFC) reported in a student’s Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) for 2019-20. Consistent with U.S. Department of Education guidance, distribution will be based on a students need in a tiered approach.
CARES Act funds will be issued to students irrespective of any outstanding account balance they may owe to the College. This means you may receive these funds but still owe a balance to the college. You are strongly encouraged to manage your account through your MyCollege portal.
Am I eligible to receive a Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security Act (CARES Act) Emergency Financial Aid Grant?
- The student incurred expenses directly related to the disruption of campus operations due to Covid-19
- The student is eligible to receive Title IV funding (e.g., U.S. citizens or eligible non-citizens with a valid Social Security number and registration with the Selective Service, if applicable) as determined by having filed the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA); and
- The student was NOT exclusively enrolled in fully distance education or online program prior to March 19, 2020
- Students must have been in good Academic Standing prior to start of spring 2020 semester
- Students must not have withdrawn or walked away from all coursework
What would be examples of funds directly related to the disruption of campus operations due to coronavirus?
What would be examples of expenses that would NOT be eligible for a CARES Act Emergency Financial Aid Grant?
I didn’t file a 2019-20 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Can I receive the Federal Emergency Grant?
Can International students receive a Federal Emergency Grant?
If I receive a grant and have an outstanding balance on my Student Account, will the funds be applied to those charges?
How do I apply for an Emergency Aid Grant?
Do I have to repay my Federal Emergency Aid Grant?
How will this grant impact my current Financial Aid?
What are the tax implications if I accept a Federal Emergency Grant?
Covid-19 has impacted my personal financial situation (e.g., I am worried about my financial ability to continue my education at SUNY Broome) – what can College do to help?