- Integrate and coordinate campus writing programs and activities (including the General Education writing sequence, “W” courses, the Writing Center, and the Writing Fellows Program).
- Provide outreach and support for faculty and students involved in these efforts.
- Encourage the campus community to value and promote writing and other communication skills; make critical literacy possible for all students.
- Enable students to use language consciously and skillfully by employing both “learning to write” and “writing to learn” activities: Help students to:
• Communicate ideas effectively to a particular audience through the use of writing.
• More proficiently learn subject material by writing about it. That is, the student will use writing to clarify thinking.
- Encourage active, problem posing teaching and learning in all writing courses, programs, and activities.