The SUNY Broome Writing Center offers Online Writing Assistance during the Fall and Spring semesters.
Request for online writing center assistance
Under normal circumstances, the Writing Center encourages all students who can attend in-person appointments to do so. Due to the social distancing practices included in the response to COVID-19, however, we are encouraging all students who can use the e-mail-based support option to do so. The Writing Center will be unavailable for in-person appointments as our tutors will be working from home. We regret any inconvenience.
- You must request an online tutoring session at least 2 weekdays prior to the date that your assignment is due to allow for adequate processing time. If you submit your request closer to the deadline, you may not receive your response in time.
- We will try to provide feedback in a timely manner; as a general rule, expect a response with 24 weekday hours after the request is received, although longer may be required if the volume level of online requests is high.
- SUNY Broome writing tutors are trained and experienced in responding to writing, so they can help you with writing concerns such as organization, clarity, style, transitions, and other generic criteria for academic writing. While we will address sentence‐level concerns (if you request assistance), we will NOT edit or proofread your work. Instead, we can point to patterns of error in your writing and suggest ways for you to develop your editing skills.
If You Have Preliminary or General Questions:
Prepare a document with your questions and treat that document as if it were the “draft” referred to below.
If You Have Questions/Concerns About a Draft:
Before you submit your draft, please reread your draft carefully and critically, checking to see how it matches the criteria specified by your instructor.
Copy and paste the following questions/prompts into an e-mail. ANSWER ALL PROMPTS, ESPECIALLY THE FINAL ONE. Attach a copy of the assignment (if possible) and your draft as a doc, docx, or rtf file.
Send to: firstname.lastname@example.org
The online writing tutor will respond as outlined above.
- What is your first and last name?
- What is your SUNY Broome ID number (from the back of your ID card)?
- For what Course (Name, Number & Section) is the assignment being done? If not for a course, what is the general purpose for the piece of writing (transfer app essay, cover letter, etc.)?
- For what Professor/Instructor is the assignment being done (if applicable)?
- Have you visited the Writing Center before (either in person or online)? If so, how many times?
- List past and current English (Eng. 110, 111, 220, etc.) and “W” (writing emphasis) courses that you have taken/are taking.
- Describe the assignment and/or send us a copy of the assignment. Include the due date! (The more information you provide us, the greater the depth of our comments can be.)
- What are your specific concerns and questions about your draft? (This answer is very important, as it guides our tutors in their responses to your draft.)
Writing Center Contact Information:
+1 (607) 778-5632