Veterans and Military Affairs Forms
- SUNY Broome Veterans Educational Benefits Request Form (pdf) – Use each semester to request Veterans Educational Benefits
- VA form 22-1995 – Request for change of Program or Place of Training
- VA form 22-5495 – Dependents’ request for Change of Program or Place of Training (Chapter 35)
- Determine which benefit is best for you: Use the GI Bill® Road Map for Success or call the VA at 1-888-GIBILL-1 (888-442-4551).
- Apply for your Veterans Education Benefits through the VA by using the Veterans Online Application.
- Submit a copy of DD-214 (Member Copy 4), or if drilling with the Reserve or Guard, submit a copy of Notice of Basic Eligibility (Form: DD-2384) from Reserve or Guard Unit Officer.
- Submit a copy of your Certificate of Eligibility letter, copy of your current Concise Class Schedule and a completed SUNY Broome Veterans Educational Benefits Request Form (pdf) to the Veterans & Military Affairs Office located in the Student Services Building, Room 102.
- Transferring Veterans (previously received MGIB from another school) must submit VA form 22-1995.
- Transferring dependents of Veterans (previously received MGIB from another school) must also submit VA form 22-5495.
- It is recommended that you apply for federal student aid by completing a Free Application for Federal Student Aid at studentaid.gov. For SUNY Broome to receive your application data you must include our school code, 002862, as one of the schools you plan to attend.
Notice: Every subsequent semester you attend SUNY Broome Community College, you will need to return to the Veteran and Military Affairs Office to activate your benefits as soon as you have registered for classes. You will need to complete the SUNY Broome Veterans Educational Benefits Request Form (pdf) and submit it along with a Concise Copy of your class schedule to the Veterans & Military Affairs Office, Student Services Building, Room 102
After you’ve begun classes, notify the Suny Broome Veterans & Military Affairs Office if there’s a change in the total number of credit hours for which you’re registered because this affects your certification.
Veterans or dependents of veterans who withdraw or get administratively dropped from a course(s) which alters their benefits after the college’s official Add/Drop period, may be charged by the VA with an overpayment dating from the first day of the class unless there is a “mitigating circumstance”. The VA will consider such reasons as mitigating: illness, new job, altered work hours, transfer, etc.
Students under Chapter 30 and 1606 are responsible to notify the VA on the last day of each month or within the 1st week after to verify your enrollment status. You can call 877-823-2378 or go online to the Department of Veterans Affairs for enrollment verification.
NYS Award Information Sheet
Veterans and dependents of veterans who are receiving a financial aid package from SUNY Broome will also receive the NYS Award Information Sheet which can be viewed from your MyCollege account. This document provides data and resources to assist veterans and dependents of veteran students in their decision making process related to financing their education.