- Notify fire department by pulling the pull station. Call Public Safety to provide details.
- If you have been trained in the use of a portable fire extinguisher and are able to safely extinguish the fire, you may do so. Be sure you have a safe exit from the area and leave if one extinguisher does not put out the fire.
- Evacuate the building as soon as the alarm sounds and report to Building Representative.
- On your way out, warn others nearby.
- Move away from fire and smoke. Smoke is the greatest danger in a fire, so stay near the floor where the air is less toxic.
Close doors and windows if time permits.
- Touch closed doors. Do not open them if they are hot.
- Use stairs only; do not use elevators.
- Move to the safe area 200 feet from the building that has been identified by the Director of your department or the instructor.
- Do not re-enter the building or work area until you have been instructed to do so by the emergency responders.