Step 1: Grant Award Acceptance.
The Director of Sponsored Programs tracks the grant award through the appropriate College pathway (<$50,000; ≥ $50,000) for executive approval.
Step 2: Grants Management Team Meeting.
The Director of Sponsored Programs convenes an initial grants management team meeting to review the requirements of the specific award and to assign action steps to get the project up and running.
- This meeting minimally includes the Grant Program Director (typically, but not always, the Project Initiator) and a Finance representative (Assistant Controller and/or Sr. Accountant).
- Human Resources is involved if the awarded project includes personnel expenses.
- Facilities is involved if the awarded project includes capital expenses.
- Other key departments are represented as appropriate.
Step 3: Grant Budget Establishment.
The Director of Sponsored Program Director initiates the budget establishment process to set up a grant budget account in Banner.
Step 4: Grant Budget Revisions & Amendments.
- The Grant Program Director requests any necessary budget revisions/transfers through the Director of Sponsored Program Director.
- The Grant Program Director works with the Director of Sponsored Program Director to create any proposed budget (and/or program) amendments that must be approved by the funding source.
- Proposed budget amendments are submitted to the funding source by the Director of Sponsored Program Director.
Step 5: Grant-Funded Employees.
The Grant Program Director works with Human Resources and Sponsored Programs to complete the hiring process for each individual to be paid from grant funds.
- The Grant Program Director is responsible for the having the Personnel Justification Form prepared and submitted to HR. This Form initiates the PAR and Authorization to Employ processes.
- Upon completion, copies of the PAR and Authorization to Employ Forms are forwarded by the Grant Program Director to Sponsored Programs.
- The Director of Sponsored Programs then prepares the grant personnel contract to be routed for approval signatures.
Step 6: Grant Award Goals & Objectives.
The Grant Program Director coordinates implementation of all grant activities and submits required reports to funding source in accordance with established goals, objectives, timelines and contractual parameters.
Step 7: Grant Award Close Out.
The Grant Program Director and Director of Sponsored Programs work together to close out the grant budget account in Banner and to submit required final reports to the funding source at the end of the grant-funded period.
- If necessary and justified, the Director of Sponsored Programs will submit a project end date extension request to the funding source. Prior to submitting such a request, the Director of Sponsored Programs must receive written justification for the request, as well as a proposed new end date, from the Grant Program Director.