As the College’s ADA & Section 504 Compliance Officer, the Dean of Students is responsible for the College’s overall efforts to comply with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) of 1990 and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 as amended and modified by court decisions and additional applicable federal, state and local regulations regarding accessibility and nondiscriminatory practices for persons with disabilities.
In this role the Dean of Students works to assure compliance by:
- developing procedures to assure ADA/504 compliance in the College’s programs, services and facilities;
- advising the campus community on compliance-related issues and recommending appropriate corrective action;
- serve as final appeals officer for those students and staff who have concerns about determinations on requested accommodations related to this regulation;
- participating with Human Resources/Affirmative Action, the Presidential Task Force on Diversity and Inclusion, and other units in educational programs to further compliance with ADA and Section 504; and
- addressing concerns that arise from the College Community.
Should a student want to discuss the appropriateness or denial of an accommodation after meeting with a staff member from the Accessibility Resource Office, they may do so by following the process below:
- Speak with the Chairperson of the Learning Assistance Department:
Office: Library Rm. 017G
- If further assistance is needed, the student can have their final appeal heard by the Dean of Students/Section 504 Compliance Officer:
Office: Old Science Building Rm. 227