EOP Summer Advancement Academy is a mandatory program for pre-freshmen that assists students in the College transition process. Students who attend the EOP Summer Advancement Academy find their transition to college much smoother and more successful. The EOP Summer Advancement Academy is:
- Mandatory for all first-time EOP Freshmen
- Three week, residential program (all students stay on campus for the duration of the program)
- Academically focused: All EOP pre-freshmen take developmental classes in Math and English taught by SUNY Broome Instructors.
- Free- there is no cost to the student to attend this program other than their transportation to and from the program.
Summer Advancement Academy Goals:
- Students will engage in structured academic workshops designed to increase the students’ level of preparation for college coursework in math and literacy.
- Students will be exposed to skills necessary for academic excellence including textbook reading strategies, effective written communication, and computer literacy. Students will learn how to effectively navigate and utilize Black Board, Starfish, Degree Works and “My Math Lab” (an online learning tool for Math). These computer programs are widely used by SUNY Broome’s instructional staff.
- Students will actively participate in educational, cultural, and recreational programs designed to expose them to the history, structure and expectations of EOP, familiarize students to SUNY Broome’s campus, integrate them into the campus community and build a sense of community and belonging.
- Students will participate in a three week Residential Life program that will include the following interactive workshops/presentations: college transition, community and personal safety issues, interpersonal relationships & respect (conflict resolution), communication skills/code-switching, diversity, personal health and nutrition, financial literacy, and other topics.
What to Bring to Summer Advancement Academy
- Official Photo Identification
- Health Insurance Card
- SUNY Broome B#, e-mail and mycollege username and password
- Social Security Card
- FAFSA and TAP PIN
- Linens (sheets, blankets, pillow, pillowcases, towels, washcloths, etc.)
- Toiletries (body soap, hand soap, toothbrush, toothpaste, toilet paper, shampoo & hair care products)
- Shower Curtain
- Sneakers (comfortable shoes)
- Alarm clock
- Laundry detergent (laundry is free)
- Personal snack and drinks
- $50-$100 for spending
- Clothing appropriate for warm & cool temperatures and closing banquet
- Umbrella/rain jacket
- Small fan
* Limited cell phone use will be strictly enforced.
Do not bring:
- Desktop computer
- Large stereo system
- Personal Vehicle
- Candles or incense
- Alcohol or illegal drugs
- Anything that can be construed as a weapon
There is NO storage available on campus.
All items MUST return home at the end of Summer Advancement Academy.